Friday, January 23, 2009

I've Gone and Done It!


Yesterday was a very productive day - all things considered. We got tidied up early and waited for the nurse to arrive. I had told myself that I would be on the horn to someone if we hadn't heard anything by 11 am. Well, at 10:30 a lovely chap name Ray, a registered nurse, called and said he was on his way and would arrive at 11 o'clock - Perfect timing.


Ray informed us that, per his paper work, he was only authorized to come out to the house once and that was for the purpose of a blood draw. He immediately said that this was not a satisfactory arrangement and that we need home health care as well as access to social services available in the neighborhood. He could see that Mr. Indi cannot walk more than 5 steps with the aid of a walking frame and he also saw the struggle that I have wrestling the push chair from the living room to the lavetory. Ray was surprised (although not shocked) that Dr. N had denied us the home health care benefit. He wrote lots of notes and said that he would report all of his findings to his boss - who would pass the info along to Dr. N. I told Ray that I was about to write a letter to Dr. N, explaining our situation. Ray said, "DO IT."


Ray was able to get a decent blood draw - with the aid of a butterfly - and he left at about noon. I fed Mr. Indi, put him to bed and took a writing pad and pen and went off to the corner table of a local eatery where I ordered a bite of lunch, a glass of beer, and I began to scribble. I scribble best with beer in one hand! This is the letter that I wrote (some names x'd out to protect the innocent!


Dear Dr. xxxxx

It is my understanding that my husband, xxxxxxxxxxxx, has been denied the benefit of Home Health Care and all of the advantages that are included in this benefit ( with the exception of today’s visit from a nurse from Anura Homehealth Services for a blood draw) because you have determined that John is ambulatory.

His last consultation with you was on December 8, 2008, and at that time, if you remember, he was using a walking frame and unable to drive because of the weakness in his legs. (I drove him to the clinic.) The weakness in his legs is caused by a tumor in his spine; the result of advanced prostate cancer.

Since that visit, almost 8 weeks ago, he has lost approx 95 % of the use of his left leg and approx 50% of the use of his right leg. He cannot walk more than 5-10 steps with the aid of the walking frame using his upper body to force the movement. Therefore, it has become necessary for me to use a transport chair to get him to and from the living room, toilet and the bedroom. He uses a urinal bottle at night. He is unable to shower or bathe as he cannot get in or out of the tub or the shower. I wash him and dress him each day.

We live in an older home with a raised foundation and it has become impossible for John to maneuver the steps down to the outside. I am unable to help him down those steps as I weigh 115 lbs and he 235 lbs. Also, I am a 65 year old woman recovering from throat cancer. If you consider that he is ambulatory, would you please arrange to come to our house and examine him yourself or send two large men who can carry him to the car so that I can bring him to your office for an evaluation..

I await your early response as, based on the amount of premiums that we have paid to Health Net over the years, I am hoping to get some help with our situation. I am also enclosing a list of his medications that you can place in his file.

Yours truly,
Xxxxxxxxxxx


While I was in the mood, I typed up the letter (with ccs to several orgs) and shoved it in an envelope and drove it down to Dr. N's office. I handed it in at the front desk and told the half baked receptionist to make sure that Dr. N got the letter as it has been sent to several other organizations. she assured me that she would pass it along as soon as she had time!


I don't know if my letter will make a difference but at least I got it off my chest!


Today's picture is of various molusks? (correct me if I'm wrong) Maybe barnacles and a few mussels and heaven knows what else. I took the pic last summer under the pier at Santa Monica


4 comments:

Heather said...

Bravo, Bravo very well done. Give yourself a gold star and a pat on the back. Then pull up your socks cause there is bound to be loads of paperwork to follow. ( something I'm sure you are already familiar with. )
Hope it all works out well and you and Mr. Indi get the help you need.
Heather xxx

Muderma said...

WELL DONE !

I'm impressed that you were so restrained in your letter, I know I wouldn't have been ! Let's hope the doc acts, and NOW ! If you havent heard back by Monday, DO IT AGAIN ... AND AGAIN ... and copy to that nice Mr Obama !!

Lots of hugs to you both ... wish I was there to help you both (though I do draw the line at botty washing !)

Anonymous said...

I've just wandered over from reading your posts in Rootschat and was amazed after reading your blog. Hurray for you, don't let the system get either of you down! You both deserve major kudos for your positive attitudes. Hang tough, Mr. and Mrs. Indi, your strength and courage is an inspiration.

Joseph Tame said...

Well done, bloomin marvellous letter.

Thinking of you both

love from japan xxx