Monday, December 15, 2008

Rain and Roses!


Well, the rain has arrived and, as you might expect, this means that the Greater Los Angeles area will grind to a halt! There will be hundreds of accidents on the freeways - people will be filling sandbags as though the Great Flood was about to arrive - the weather service will put out storm watches, warnings and other dire messages - AND if there is more than one clap of thunder, the world will end! Of course the problem is that people here just don't understand that rain is wet and that one cannot drive at 90 mph on a slick road and expect to stop within any reasonable distance! So, I shall limit my driving to the local market today. We only need fresh bread and some milk. The rest of them can get on with it!


Yesterday was a nice quiet day - once I had cleaned up the shambles in the kitchen and living room. I was really surprised that so little of the booze was downed. Everyone was being very good about drinking and driving. So, I have moved all of the bottles onto the sideboard in the family room which will give ME easy access to a glass of port or sherry - or rum or brandy - or vodka or Bailey's. Well, somebody has to drink it!


Mr. Indi was feeling quite good although his legs still won't do as they are told! He can't let go of the walker for fear of falling. He spent most of the morning going through the hundreds of ads in the Sunday paper. He was looking for a new camera that he is going to buy me for Christmas: a new flat screen 32" TV that he is going to buy me for Christmas; a new laptop that he is going to buy me for Christmas AND anything else I might fancy! I'm going to get him some new socks!


I talked to my sister in England who convinced me that I don't really need to wait for the chimney sweep; just go ahead and light a nice fire - nothing dire will happen. I took her advice, HOWEVER, this meant that I had to spend an hour carting logs in from the woodpile and then chopping up enough kindling to last a few days. By the time I got everything ready to light the fire - I was too knackered to strike a match! But I did get the fire going in the end - and it was lovely!


We have no appointments today but Mr. Indi will be phoning the doctor to find out what happened with the referral to the neuro-surgeon! We should have heard something by last Friday but this is always a difficult time of the year to get things moving. Don't get ill at Christmas time - you may not get treated until the middle of January after everyone has sobered up!


I took today's picture last week - we still have a few roses blooming in the garden but I think they will look pretty sad by the time the rain moves through!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got the fire going< I'm sure it was worth it! Nothing like a nice bit of fire to cheer the place up. I went to Worcester today, it was lovely, we went to have lunch in that beautiful street with all the lovely old buildings.. Best steak and chips I've had in years. Take care lots of love.Anjo