Thursday, November 20, 2008

Who Know's What is Next!


Before I start to tell my tale, I'm going to use an expression that my Ma used - "I'm so damn mad, I could spit." I'm not sure who I would spit at - but I would!


We called the cancer center yesterday morning and left a message asking them if there was any news of Mr. Indi's MRI as we have airline and hotel reservations to attend Renilde's funeral today - AND - we would need to know if it was OK to go out of town for 2 days - because - if not, all reservations would have to be cancelled by noon yesterday. Noon came and went - as did the rest of the afternoon without a return phone call - so we assumed (silly) that our arrangements were safe. At about 4:00 p.m.ish, me and him went out to do a few chores - bank - grocery store - get gas etc. His Lordship wanted to come with me but sat in the car as I ran around like a blue - a*rsed fly! (Another one of Ma's gems!) When we got back at 5:00 there was the phone message to say that he has to be at the radiation clinic first thing in the morning. No explanation - but it is urgent that he call first thing today - 8:00am.


So, we have probably lost a bit of money on our reservation - but - worse than that - we have had a terrible night with very little sleep and lots and lots of worry! The only thing that I am comfortable with is that the radiation clinic is the same one that I went to so I know where it is and who the staff are - lots of lovely people.


Before me and him went on our sojourn to the shops, I had been talking to my sister on the phone and we were laughing like a pair of hyenas! My sister is deaf and one of her hearing aids had fallen to bits - so she had been to the Audiology clinic at the local hospital to be fitted with a new hearing aid. They informed her that they no longer make new aids for patients - they reuse previously owned instruments! Well, you can imagine the kinds of things we talked about! Most of them too gross to mention here. It reminded me of the episode of Steptoe and Son (for those of you who are 100 years old) when the old man came home with the horse and cart and the cart was full of old broken National Health spectacles. What a deal! He reckoned he could make good specs out of all the bits and pieces of old ones. Hehehehehe! My sister said, "Hey, don't laugh, that's what they do now!" Anyhow, after rummaging around in a large box of used hearing aids for half an hour, the audiologist found the perfect fit and sister is now back in business! Universal Health Care at work!


We don't know what today will bring - we hope that, in whatever way they are going to treat Mr. Indi, it he will free him from this terrible pain.


The picture is of the Magic Lamp restaurant in Rancho Cucamonga - and, as you can see it is a Route 66 landmark! Woo - Hoo - Get your kicks!

No comments: