Friday, November 21, 2008

One Day Down - and Peace!


First, I want to say that I cannot find enough words to express my thanks to Southwest Airlines, Alamo Rental Car, and Best Western Hotels. All of these businesses allowed me to cancel our reservations - without penalty - and with a full refund. They were kind and caring and they will all be getting my business in the future. So, that hurdle was cleared by 7:00 a.m. yesterday morning and it was then time to begin Mr. Indi's first visit to the radiation clinic.


Upon arrival at the center, the first order of business, as per usual was the mountains of paper work. One of the questions was "What medications are you taking?" Ha - What medications isn't he taking would be easier! But, me being the brilliant and psychic person that I am (ermmmm) had just spent a couple of hours, 2 days ago, typing up a complete drug usage sheet that included everything I could think of including some very personal items for soothing one's bum! (It's an old age thing!) I couldn't imagine that he would be prescribed anything more - he already has pain-killers, steroids and gastric disorder medicines and I think that Larry (the druggist) wonders if we are selling stuff on the street! But, I was wrong - the doc has prescribed yet another steroid. This one is to help shrink the tumor.


So - we finally got a read-out of the MRI. The bone cancer (a result of the prostate cancer) has invaded all of his spine - from top to bottom - every bone. But of particular concern is an area between T-7 and T-10 where there is a large mass that is the source of Mr. Indi's agony. For those of you who have never had radiation treatment, there is a lot of prep work to do on the first day so that they can get all the data loaded into the radiation machine's computer and make certain that all measurements are accurate down to a gnats behind before that do any zapping.


The Radiation oncologist ( a lovely lady) needed a copy of the actual MRI pictures before finalizing his radiation regimen. The pictures were on a CD at the imaging place in Cucamonga - and even using a courier, they couldn't guarantee that the CD would get down to Riverside before 5p.m. - too late for Mr. Indi to have a treatment. SO! They asked me to go to Cucamonga and get the CD - "Sure!" I said - I mean, it's not as though I'm a 65 year old lady with high blood pressure, arthritic elbows and trying to recover from cancer - ooops Yes I am! But, what the heck - it's only a 65 mile round trip and I love driving with all the nut cases on the freeway in LA! Keeps me young! It took me 90 minutes - pretty good driving for lunch hour in LA - and when I got back, his Lordship had had his CAT scan and we were allowed an hour off to go for some lunch.


Lunch was good - a crab stuffed avocado at an Irish pub called Killarney's. I know - sounds weird. He had sausage and mash and we were feeling full and fighting fit as we made our way back to the clinic. Mr Indi got his first zapping at 3:30 p.m and then we were finally able to come home. He was shattered and I was feeling a bit frail myself! It felt so good to sit on the front porch with a cold beer - heaven! Poor dear Mr. Indi crashed into the bed - done for the day!


Thanks so much to all the kind people who wrote and called yesterday - and especially to my sister who woke at 1a.m. (England time) and called me to check up on us. After several buckets of tears, she started to make me laugh - and I ended up in hysterics talking about chicken fillets! I'll explain one day!


Mr Indi has to be at the clinic at 7:30 this morning so I must away and chuck some clothes on.


The picture is of a rose growing outside the Magic Lamp. I think it's Peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sis and Dief, just read the blog, thanks so much for ther kind words!!! HOPE today goes well, call you tonight. May be late as I might go to a quiz night. Lots of love. Anjo xxxxxxxxx

Muderma said...

What a day ! You are one special lady ... and I'm sure Him knows it too!
Still praying ... still sending you both hugs !
XXX Granny

Joseph Tame said...

crikey, and I thought I had it bad with 100 student reports to mark... thinking of you both, much love from Tokyo.

Must go and prepare the melting pork innards now.

Anonymous said...

Hi aunty pee & uncle john,just read your blog & i hope they sort something out to help uncle john's pain, I can't imagine what you both must be going through! & all i can think of to say is that i love you both very much not much help i know but at least you know i'm thinking of you both love kisses & big hugs your little Moo XXXXXXX