Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Restful Day - NOT!


I really have to stop getting up in the morning with any intention of having a bit of peace and quiet and a day free from worry! It ain't going to happen! Yesterday started off OK but when I was counting out Mr Indi's drugs for his 8 a.m. dosing up - I realized that the morphine stash was running low. No problem - just call the clinic and get one of the docs to write a prescription and I would drive up there and get the paperwork and take it to Larry's while I was out doing some grocery shopping . Piece of cake ! Haha!


Who would have known that both the cancer center and the radiation clinic would be closed on the day after Thanksgiving - making it a 4 day holiday! What cheek! I managed to get through to a central answering service who put me in touch with the doctor on call - a nice young chap. He understood my predicament - Mr. Indi only has enough morphine to last until 4 am Sunday morning! I offered to drive to wherever he was located and get the prescription - but he was 45 miles away. "Don't worry," he said. "I'll be coming to a hospital near to you and will drop the prescrip off at the drug store near the hospital. I'll call you back in a couple of hours and let you know that I have dropped it off." Right - that was that sorted! NOT! 5 hours went by and he hadn't called. I hate to be a bother but I was afraid he'd forgotten about me. I had him paged at the hospital and when he called me back, BOY - did I get an earful! He was in ICU with very sick patients and he would go to the drug store when he got the chance! (He was probably in the doctor's lounge watching football on the telly!)


He called me at 5:30 in the evening but as I hate driving in the dark and the drug store is about 12 miles away - I shall go and get the pills this morning. As Ma would say "What a bloody palaver!"


Now to the good parts of the day. We have found a fabulous Mexican place for lunch - it is a true Mexican joint - and most of the time we are the only gringos (white folks) in there. The chef and waitresses are just wonderful and treat us so well. They are very caring for Mr Indi and always help him to his seat. Yesterday, when we walked in the door, I got some lovely hugs from Hannah - a beautiful and charming Mexican waitress. She was excited to see us as her sister had made extra tamales (at home for Thanksgiving) and Hanna had bought some in to give to us to take home. Now, how kind is that? The food at La Joya is wonderful - I had talapia in a spicy red chili sauce - Mr Indi had a soup (can't remember the name) that was like menudo but with pork and lots of white corn. He said it was delish.


Here are a few more things that you don't know about his Lordship:

31) His favorite dessert is a slice of apple pie with a lump of sharp cheddar cheese on top!

32) He loves to ride trains

33) His favorite TV station is the Discovery Channel

34) His favorite cologne is Paul Sebastian

35) His favorite actor - at the moment - is Tommy Lee Jones

36) His favorite rock group is Rolling Stones

37) He is 6'2"

38) He never, ever wears sneakers - trainers - whatever you call them

39) He dislikes snow

40) He loves the desert


Today's picture is one I took the other day on the way back from the radiation clinic. I have often wondered what it was. Well, it's a sculpture by the artist James Rosati and it is called "The Tripod" and it honors Riverside firefighters who went to New York to help after the 9/11 attacks. Neat, eh?

No comments: