Sunday, October 5, 2008

Was it Worth it?


We didn't go very far - just down to Lake Elsinore - a funny little town about 20 miles from here. The lake at Lake Elsinore is a man made lake that is concrete lined. It's quite a large lake and we have been there a couple of times camping with the kids but it can be pretty miserable in the middle of summer when the temperature can reach 110F and the lake turns upside down and all the algae comes to the top! Grr! We went once when the lake had gone nuts and thousands of fish had died and were lying along the shore! Argghhh! Twas a pong!


Yesterday, the weather was very nice for our drive and the lake was looking quite blue and pretty and there was not a dead fish to be seen! The only attraction in Elsinore, apart from the lake, is the few junk - err um - I mean antique shops along the old main street that just happens to be named Main Street! They all have the usual load of old clobber that nobody wants and nobody is going to buy but I fell prey to the lure of some of the junk yesterday - I just couldn't help it!


While poking about in one of the shops, I saw this cute (hokey) little plate - see picture. It's about 5 inches across and quite sweet (hokey.) I picked it up and looked at it - it is stamped Made in England on the back. I put it down and walked around the rest of the shop but the damned plate wouldn't shut up! It kept calling out - "Please, please, take me home, please." Well, what could I do? I couldn't leave the little plate there, could I? It was so lonely! I looked at the price - $2:50 (about one pound fifty sterling) I scrounged at the bottom of my purse and found just enough change to pay for it - fate was at work! So, I am now the owner of a little pretty (hokey) plate and she is happy to be sitting on my mantle next to another pretty (hokey) little plate that I bought in Hereford, England a few years ago. They look very happy together so I think my $2:50 investment was worth it!


It was cloudy and cool all day and we did have a few sprinkles in the afternoon - not enough to do the garden any good but enough to cool everything down. It was perfect weather for the beef stew that I made and that Mr. Indi really enjoyed. More cool weather is forcast for today!

No comments: