Monday, October 27, 2008

Romany Roots


Today's picture was taken by my dear friend, Lexi. She and I share a common interest in genealogy and she knows that I have some Romany roots and therefore would just love the fabulous pictures of a gypsy caravan that she took in Rhode Island. This particular caravan, or wardos, was awarded 1st prize at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. It was the living wagon of Thomas Stanley, King of the New England Gypsies.


My gypsies were brush makers from Westbury in Wiltshire but, in the early 1800s, they settled down and moved to Bristol, Somerset. From there, they migrated to London where my grandfather was born in Tower Hamlets - within the sound of Bow Bells - a true Cockney! But at age 2, his family moved to Birmingham and remained there until the current generation began, once again, to wander! I don't think there are any of us left in Brum - sad innit?


Yesterday, we got Mr. Indi a back brace from the drug store - cor, struth - it weren't 'alf expensive - still, he's worth it. It is helping his back tremendously and has allowed him to go to work today. He will be coming home early, however, as he wants to try and get an appt to see Dr. J or Dina to try and find out why his back has suddenly become so painful - Is it the bone cancer? Or something else at work?


When Paul Newman died, a couple of weeks ago, we went to the DVD store and picked up a few of his films - cheap! Yesterday, we watched The Color of Money with Paul and Tom Cruise. I thought it was very good but that may be because I love pool and I love to watch people who know how to play pool, play pool! Tom Cruise was very good even though I don't like him much. Not a great flick - but a good flick!

No comments: