Friday, May 30, 2008

A Quart Low


We left the house at 7:30a.m. and checked into the hospital at ten till eight. It was then that we discovered that Mr. Indi was a quart low and therefore would need 2 units of blood to top him up. The doctor's orders stated a slow infusion that would take 3 hours per unit - add to that the prep time and blood tests afterwards and we were looking at a 7 hour haul. I stayed until Mr. Indi was firmly ensconced in the comfy chair with a bag of the good red stuff dripping away into his port and then I left him in the kind and capable hands of Nurse Raffy.


Nurse Raffy has just won an outstanding employee award at the hospital and I can see why. She is efficient - knowledgeable - caring and kind. And, if you read this blog, Raffy - We love you!


I decided to do a little shopping that I have been putting off for a while. ( Procrastination is my strong suit.) So, I stopped at Mervyn's and got his lordship some new pjs and 3 new tee shirts with pockets. The pockets are a must-have for himself to stash his glasses, pens, pencils, etc. and they are becoming harder and harder to find so I was happy to get them. I also swung by the grocery market and picked up a few snacks to take down to the hospital - cookies - grapes - orange pop.


I returned to the hospital at 11:30 with a packed lunch of tuna salad on french bread with lettuce and pickles. Mr. Indi was starving and had himself a good munch. He also enjoyed his snacks.


After lunch, I was visited by Raffy's supervisor who had heard that I am from England. She is a sweet lady from the Philippines but who lived in Middlesborough, England for 25 years and considers it to be her home. We had a good old chin-wag about where to get the best fish and chips and how to make good Yorkshire pud!


Mr. Indi was finally finished at 3:30p.m. and was more than happy to come back home looking all nice and pink and healthy! After such a long day, it was an early dinner and bed by 9.


I took the picture above yesterday in between trips to the hospital. It is a beautiful tree out by the main road. It has these amazing spidery pink blossoms but I don't know what it is called. If anyone knows please leave a note.



No comments: