Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Open the Book Shop!


A new book shop has been built in the shopping center down the road from here. It's a very large book shop and has had a huge sign outside saying OPENING SOON for about 3 weeks now. I keep driving past but it still isn't open. Boo Hoo! Yesterday I drove right past the front door which was open and I could see row upon row of lovely brand new books.........SO - OPEN IT....what are they waiting for?

The reason I want to get into the book shop is because I have almost finished reading what is probably the most depressing book I have ever read.....and I need something a bit cheerier. But while this book may be depressing as hell...I can't stop reading it......and the reason is because everything the author, Anne Enright, has to say is true.

The story, The Gathering, centers around the funeral of a family member who has committed suicide. - (Yes, I know, not exactly stuff to cheer you up!) The narrator faces the many demons that have haunted her since childhood. Very deep stuff. As my Mother would have said, "I'll be glad when I've had enough."

Mr. Indi goes to see the oncologist today. It will be interesting as they have moved to new quarters and I'm not sure how to get there......then it will be off to lunch, no doubt...and I'll make another swing past the book shop!

The photo above is of the tide pools at Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California. I took the pic in October 2005.

No comments: