Thursday, May 15, 2008

I Love Springtime!


This is my most favorite time of the year here. The jacaranda trees are all starting to bloom and pretty soon the drive down the main street will be through a sea of purple! Some people complain about the jacaranda blossoms that drop all over the sidewalks - but I think it looks beautiful.

All of the flora are wonderful at the moment - my roses are looking splendid - the red amaryllis in the front garden is coming up - the agapanthus plants have hundreds of buds and will make a good show in another couple of weeks.....expect lots of pictures of those Lilies of the Nile.

I also noticed that my prize dahlia is sprouting! Yea. This dahlia is amazing and has sprouted in the same pot for 4 years now ( I can't put it in the ground - the slugs and snails would have it in no time.) I took a photo of the little baby shoot today and will photograph its progress daily until it breaks out into a huge yellow bloom - watch this space for pictures.

Another sign of spring is in the paddock down on California St. There are at least 10 mares with their foals - so cute - see picture above taken yesterday. There is a beautiful palomino foal but I couldn't get a picture because he kept hiding behind his Mom!

Of course, along with all these wonderful blossoms comes the pollen which is creating major problems now - I have to wear a surgical mask just to go to the grocery store - and even that is not pollen proof......hmmm....I will have to ask Larry (the druggist) if there is an anti-pollen mask.....if there is it will probably look like something from Dr. Who!

No comments: