Sunday, May 4, 2008

Dad's Army


If my Dad were alive he would be almost108 but he died when he was just 60 on May 4, 1961. Isn't it funny how we can remember exactly what we were doing on certain days of our lives.

I was sitting at the dinner table eating liver and onions when the telephone rang and my ex got up to answer it. My heart skipped a beat because I knew what it was......I knew Dad had died. He had been in the hospital for about a week and was not doing well.....so I knew...I just knew.

The picture above is of my Dad in the Home Guard in WWII. He was a fire warden and cruised the streets of Birmingham in his red MG looking for violations of the blackout rules and also spotting fires. I also believe he spent considerable time in the pub taking roll call! Dad had also served in WWI. During that awful war, he was in the Royal Flying Corps. He was just a boy of 17 when he joined up.

Dad was what you would call a man's man. He didn't care much for women....other than for the carnal reasons! He much preferred to be down at his club playing snooker or darts with his men friends. He always wanted a son but ended up with four daughters! The last one he nicknamed Jim......Little Jim......and she grew up to be quite a tom-boy!

So, it's been 47 years since he's been gone and today I will remember Dad.

No comments: