Sunday, June 22, 2008

She Was A Pal!


In response to the numerous requests for the potato salad recipe (actually, there was only one request but I know that there are thousands of you out there who are too shy to ask!) I am posting the instructions for you - vague as they are:


For 6-8 people, you will need 8-10 medium white spuds - or 15-20 little red spuds. Peel the white ones - don't peel the red ones. Whatever kind of spuds you use - don't over cook them - boil them in lightly salted water until cooked but firm and drain them and leave them on the counter to cool. Once cool, put them in the fridge to get cold. Once cold, chop them into about 1/2 inch dice.

While that is going on you will need to chop about 3-4 stalks of celery into small dice. (And I mean SMALL) Next, chop about 6 green onions/spring onions into small rounds (you can also use a half of a red onion instead) Next, chop 8-10 sweet pickled gherkins into small dice.

While you are doing all of that - boil 6-8 eggs. Boil for 10 mins and then plunge into cold water so that they don't get ugly! When cold, peel and chop into eighths!

Now - Have a drink!

Here comes the tricky part....combine everything into a large bowl and stir gently with a large spoon. Now add the mayonnaise... a few tablespoons at a time until it is to your liking - I like mine very moist - some people don't. I also add a couple of teaspoons of American mustard or Grey Poupon to the mayo. Mix it all carefully and chill. It's best made the day before and chilled overnight.


I can't, however, take all the credit for this recipe. The basis for the potato salad comes from a recipe given to me many many moons ago by my good friend and neighbor,Phyllis, in Chicago.

Phyl used to put chopped black olives in her salad - I don't much care for them. She also used a lot more mustard then me. It's all a matter of taste.

I would think that by now, Phyl is drinking a big glass of Rhine wine in the sky - if not, she is very, very old!


Picture above is another white flower - a holyhock growing up against my neighbors ugly garage!

No comments: