Thursday, February 5, 2009

Let's Not Talk About It.


I had the feeling that it was going to be a bad day when the man from the medical transport company called me at 7:00 a.m. to say that our address did not appear on his GPS and was it a new home in an unnamed area or maybe an isolated house in a field? Er! Well, NO - actually, it is a 50 year old house that is on a 50 year old street in a town that was established in the 1870's! "Well," he said "I have an idea where you might be so will call you when I get closer!" Oh dear!


He called me back at about 7:45 and I was able to talk him through the route to my house. It seems that they had the street name spelled in a most unique manner on his orders. Mind you, fair dues - it is a bit of a peculiar name. So, that is how our day started and it was all downhill from there!


We got Mr. Indi to the chemo center at 9 o'clock on the dot but he was not feeling well and was unable to get from the wheelchair to the recliner - the strength in his arms had vaporized. This meant that he had to spend almost 3 hours hooked up to IVs while in a very uncomfortable chair. I got an office chair and sat across from him and massaged his legs for part of the time but he began to get very snippy so I took a little break and went to get a few hugs from Sharon and Cindy. I needed them.


Prior to the start of chemo we had seen Dina and got the results of the latest blood tests. The hematocrit was 28.0 - down a little from last month. The hemoglobin was 9.6 - also down. His PSA count has gone up to 100.5 and his alkaline phosphatase is up from 232 to 347. So, all of his numbers are going in the WRONG direction. Grrrr!


He was finished with chemo at noon and the nurse called for our transport - which I had pre-booked AND paid for. I won't bore you with the details but it seems that they had over-booked and after several phone calls, an ambulance finally showed up at 2:00 p.m. We got home at 2:30. To say that we were tired, fed up, cheesed off and ready for the gun, would be an understatement - but of course Mr. Indi had the worst of the deal - and all he wanted was his bed. I lay down beside him and gave him a love before I went into the garage and opened a Newcastle Brown - sat on the porch and cried!


The phone rang and it was Mrs Anjo the Banjo to tell me about the sadness in her day! It seems that when she arrived at work - she's a professional carer - her client was very upset because the house cleaner had been and, while cleaning the canary cage, had accidentally sucked the ancient canary up the vacuum cleaner. So, even though Mr. Indi had a terrible day - the bird's day was even worse! - And the client was even more upset that it was a new vacuum cleaner bag that had to be cut open - and therefore ruined - to get the deceased out! You have to feel sorry for some folks, don't ya?


Today's picture is of a stained glass window - yes it's glass, not plastic - in a pub called Sly McFly in Monterey, California. Wish we were there!



6 comments:

Muderma said...

Its cruel, and nasty of me I know ... but I laughed until the tears ran ... about the canary !


Oh dear ... I know I should really be weeping with you IPA, not laughing about the bird !

You know you have nothing but my admiration for your strength and sense of humour that shines through everything you are feeling. You are truly AMAZING !!

And please give Mr Indi another gentle hug from me.

ipa said...

Hi Granny - Shhhh! Don't tell anybody but I laughed too - I laughed until I cried - Poor Mr. Indi lying in the bed and me and Anjo weeping with laughter. But, before all the bird lovers get up in arms - let me say that Anjo said that the bird was very, very old and covered in tumors and the mange. Poor thing. The cleaning lady did it a favor!
LOL!

Anonymous said...

Well we gave Granny a giggle!!! I told Annie this morning, and she nearly fell over on the ice laughing. Hope Dief is a bit more comfortable today. Love you both, will call later xxxxxx Banjo

Anonymous said...

Yes by the way, you are AMAZING as Granny said! xxxxxx A Banjo

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the poor woman who lost her beloved pet ... not to mention the pet. Hope she sacks the cleaning person!

Keeping you both in all my thoughts and (what passes for) my prayers.

xoxo to you both!

sdb

lexi said...

What a lazy maid! Why would she use the vacuum to clean a bird cage? I've heard everything now.

Indi for a tiny lady you sure do have moxie.

Maybe a stupid question here, but can't mr. indi have the chemo at home with a visting nurse by his side. My cousin is an RN and he would travel to the home and hook up an IV.

Hang in there

xoxoxox
Lexi