Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Beeeep! Are you there?


Well, I've put in a good 2 weeks of work over the last two days and must say that I think I'm getting a bit too old for this lark! And, not only that - I think that buying those darn walkie-talkies has increased my work threefold!


On Monday, my son and DIL were off work and came by to visit and help out with some chores. They also stopped at a take-out deli place and bought us lunch. Everything was really yummy and I dived into a spicy meatball sandwich:

Beep "Can you come here? I have to go on the bedpan"

"I'll be right there" - runs up the hallway.

Places bedpan under bum - washes hands - goes back to lunch table - takes one more bite of sandwich.

Beep "I think it's a false alarm. Can you come and get me off bedpan?"

"I'll be right there." Runs up hallway rolls his Lordship off bedpan - washes hands - goes back to lunch table and manages 2 more bites of meatball sarnie.

Beep. "Can you come here? I was right - I really do have to go now."

"I'll be right there." Runs up hallway and gets bedpan under bum - washes hands - sits back down to finish meatball sandwich. Sandwich cold. Opens bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale and substitutes that for the sandwich.

Beep. "I think I've finished - can you come and look?"

Run up hallway - "Where do you want me to look?"

I felt like I was looking in the oven to see if the cake was done yet!

Anyway - clean up time - rubber gloves - baby bum wipes - zinc ointment - new diaper. (I thought I gave that up 40 years ago!) Last but not least - spray most of the house with a lovely new scent - Springtime Lilac and start singing, We'll gather lilacs in the spring again and walk together down an English Lane. Son tells me to put a sock in it and opens me another Newkie.

Lunchtime is over! But my son is a funny old thing - yes, I can call him that because he will be 50 this year! Later in the afternoon, he called me from home. "Mom, can you come over? I have to take a poop" I won't repeat my response! Ha Ha!


Mr. Indi has developed a very nasty bedsores on his elbows - he has to use his elbows to move up and down in the bed. Before he left, my son, who is quite good at first aid, slathered his Lordships elbows with zinc ointment and dressed them with soft bandages. I then went down to the sporting goods place and bought a set of skateboarding elbow pads. They seem to be helping quite a bit.


Steve, one of the therapists came yesterday morning and was very surprised to find how weak Mr. Indi had become over the past few days. It may be the chemo drug that he takes each night and I'm sure that both his red and white cells are way down - but I think I will call Dr. J today and ask that he request a blood draw at home just to check out the numbers.


I got a call from a manager at the transport company who had messed us up so badly last Wednesday with our chemo transport. He grovelled a lot and promised to look into the matter and see if there was some way to make up for the inconvenience that Mr. Indi had to endure. I think a full refund would be a good place to start!


The latest on the non-existent hospital bed is - "Just because he's a paraplegic, doesn't mean he needs a hospital bed!" That is the last straw. I went completely bozo yesterday afternoon and called Dr. N's office assistant and demanded to see him to discuss this whole mess. I have an appointment at 8:00 a.m. Thursday morning and will go armed with much documentation - including the blood test bill.


It has been a very busy couple of days and the weather has been wild, too! We've had buckets of rain - the snow on the mountains is gorgeous - and it can bloody well stay there! But, it has turned very cold and today's picture is one that I took yesterday morning of the ice on the windshield of my car at 7:00 a.m.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, and I thought you were ironing!

Glad to read your blog and know you are still fighting, laughing and enjoying a beer.

Think I know where your son gets his sense of humour too.


Yor

Anonymous said...

Beep! Beep! Indi Babeski

come and have a glass of wine or beer with me .... we can discuss anything you want to ...LOL

You are great! Send love and hugs to Mr. Indi

deb

Muderma said...

It won't only be ONE glass of wine if I know Deb !

Enjoy ...

Anonymous said...

Beeep! are you there, remember that bit well indi, we started with baby moniters, then walkie talkies, Just trying to catch up sisnce i have been away for almost 3 weeks,
Sybil
XXXXX love to you both