Saturday, September 6, 2008

Santa Barbara


The weather here is wonderful - at least 20 degrees F cooler than it was back home. Our drive was relatively easy except for the time I wasted driving round and round Camarillo looking for a decent place to have lunch. I finally spotted an Acapulco restaurant and, while we have always been happy with that chain in the past, it was AWFUL - HORRIBLE - VILE!!!!! and I didn't like it much!


We checked into our hotel at about three - our room is at the back of the hotel, which I like - not much of a view but no traffic noise either. After resting up for a while, we went out walking. One of the things that struck me was the number of lovely young ladies whose arms are covered in tattoos. Grrrr! I think it looks awful on men and even worse on women but I see it is a growing fad. We stopped in an Irish Pub - Dargan's - quite a nice place with a lovely barmaid named Yvonne from Dublin. She promised to dance a little jig with me if we go back tonight (Saturday) Ha Ha - fat chance with my creaky old knees!


We couldn't decide on dinner - there are lots of restaurants in Santa Barbara - but I knew that Mr. Indi had his eye on the Indian joint on the corner of our street! (All India Cafe) So, that's where I steered him. The food was excellent. The lamb sikh kebab was the best we've ever had and the tandoori chicken was moist and tender. We had poppadoms and garlic nan and raita and lots of lovely chutneys and stuff. We washed it all down with a couple of bottles of Kingfisher Indian beer - bloody lovely! And so to bed.


The picture is one I got off the internet of the Santa Barbara Mission. This is where we are going this morning and down to the beach this afternoon.

No comments: