Sunday, September 21, 2008

Los Angeles County Fair

Yesterday, me and him went to the Los Angeles County Fair. We couldn't go last year as I was too sick - but, prior to that we had been for at least 15 years in a row. Needless to say "We Love The Fair". The Fair covers almost 400 acres and there is so much to see and do that it would be difficult to catch it all in one day. But, for a pair of old farts, we did pretty well. Of course, two of the main reasons for going to the Fair are eating and drinking! The picture above is just one of hundreds of BBQs cooking thousands of pounds of chickens, turkey legs, beef and pork ribs and corn on the cob. It all smells so good - even at 10 in the morning.


One of my favorite attractions is the flower show - all the displays are done by professionals and are just stupendous - this year's theme was Hawaii and the picture above is one of my favorites. However, I did take lots of pics of the flower show and will post more soon.


I also like to wander through the huge building called "Home Arts" where they display knitting (I used to enter - won a couple of 1st place ribbons in years gone past!) also quilting, Christmas Tree decorating and baking of all types. I thought this spag/bol cake was so awful that it was worth taking a picture. Mind you, some of the wedding cakes were amazing.


Many of the activities and competitions at the Fair are geared toward children - they have an awesome exhibit of photography done by 5-15 year olds. I really liked this wall of coloring done by little school children from all over the Los Angeles area.


The fair also boasts a thoroughbred racing schedule and we stopped by the track to sit for a while and have a cold beer and a flutter. Unfortunately, the nag is still running! We had a nice day out but came home totally knackered AND I broke my walking stick! Sigh! So - my mission for today is to rummage down at the antique shop for a new cane. Poor old blighter, I am!

No comments: