Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Hidden Treasure


So, our first stop was the little town of Murrieta. Last time we were there, I had seen a signpost pointing to the "Historic Old Town" district and this time I wanted to check it out. Well, the "Historic Old Town" district is all of about 6 blocks long and is mostly ramshackle old houses - many of them boarded up. Sad really.


We parked the car and walked up and down both sides of the street - not much to see - but before we left we went into the antique store that is hidden behind the shade trees in the photo above. It was typical of many antique stores - an old house with rooms filled with tatty old junk that nobody wants - but lo and behold - I saw a wondrous sight! One of the rooms had been turned into a lovely little knitting yarn shop!


Anyone who knows me will understand why my eyes glazed over and I began to drool at the sight of all that lovely yarn! There was wonderful DK from England in a beautiful powder blue - and gorgeous silk ribbon yarn from Germany in a luscious orange. I thought I had died and been transported to knitters heaven. Sitting at a table in the middle of the room was the owner of the little knitting shop - a young lady in her twenties. She could see that I was overwhelmed with emotion as I fondled the balls of yarn - and when I took my own knitting project out of my handbag - she lowered her eyes in awe! At least, I think it was awe - or maybe she was thinking, "What is this barmy old lady doing with a ball of yarn and knitting needles in her handbag?"


Mr. Indi found me in the little yarn shop and reminded me that we were having a day out in order to help with his mental health and not to satisfy my unnatural desire to purchase more yarn than one can possibly use in several lifetimes. So we left!


The rest of our day was spent with lunch in Temecula - it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either - followed by a wander around more antique shops with an even bigger array of tat than we had previously seen! Does anyone ever buy any of this junk?


We were home by 4 p.m. and I made the most delicious dinner of pork chops and roast spuds and fresh green beens - ahhhh! Perfect! - But I do wish I had bought some yarn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it so amazing that I can see a picture taken yesterday by my sis the other side of the world. Love u Mrs Indi and Mr. too.

Muderma said...

Hello Anonymous !

You must be the sis that lives near me ? Mrs Indi has told me about you ... ask her !

Granny ...