Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mission San Luis Rey de Francia

We visited the mission on Saturday, July 19. It is a most impressive building that can be seen from far away as it sits on the top of a hill. When we got there it was quite foggy but I was able to get a shot with a little slice of sun as we were leaving. The mission was founded in 1798 and is named after St. Louis IX, King of France.

The mission is a working parish church and also a religious retreat and as such, much of the grounds were off limits but the cemetery was open to the public. It is a beautiful and very restful place.


We stopped to read many of the graves and I was particularly moved by this one. I took the photo for my friend, Annie. This young man was killed in France when he was aged 27. He is remembered next to the grave of his mother.


This bell is overlooking part of the private gardens. I wanted to ring it. Mr. Indi told me to behave!

As with most of the missions, there are lots of cacti and lovely bougainvillea. The dark red leaf bracts are stunning against the white walls. Mission San Luis Rey isn't my favourite - that distinction belongs to San Juan Bautista - but it is a lovely old building and worth a visit.

No comments: