Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Long, Long Day!


Mr. Indi survived the Cisplatin and is feeling OK this morning although a bit wobbly if he stands up too fast. He is working from home today but should be OK for work tomorrow - that is IF we can find a car that will get him there! Grrrr - story to follow!


Yesterday was a very long day. I dropped his Lordship off at the chemo lab at 9 a.m. JoAnn had already warned us that he would be there for most of the day so we had packed him a lunch and some snacks and he armed himself with several puzzle books - crosswords, sudoku, etc. - and a novel that he has been struggling to get into. As I backed the car out of the parking space, I heard some odd thumping sounds - Oh well! Not to worry.


I swung by the grocery store and picked up some fresh veg for dinner - I can't believe the price of brussel sprouts - and as I drove out of the parking lot I heard some more odd thumping and clumping sounds. Oh well, not to worry! I got onto the freeway and felt the car struggling to change gears (it's an automatic) but once at cruising speed everything seemed to be OK. At last, I neared the house and as I drove up the hill, the car started shuddering and juddering and thumping and clumping and a warning light came on! Yikes Time to worry!


I checked the owners manual and learned that the warning light comes on if you are out of gas (I wasn't) the gas cap isn't on right (it was) or----get this------there is a problem with the electrical system of the engine or the transmission - oh GREAT! It seems that my car had caught the same electrical system bugs that had infected Mr. Indi's car - hrmphhh! I shouldn't have parked them so close together!


The rest of the day was spent living on tenterhooks - worrying about Mr. Indi and wondering if the car would make it back to the chemo center to bring him home. But everything worked out in the end. I picked him up at 4:30 p.m. and drove through town rather than the freeway. We were both very happy when we arrived back at the house. So, we now have 2 broken cars and will spend today trying to get one or the other fixed and/or renting a car from Enterprise, who, luckily, have a depot about a mile from here.


The picture is a hollyhock at Mission San Juan Capistrano

No comments: