Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Foggy Day in...


The coastal fog didn't clear all day yesterday - not that we minded - it felt really good after being in the inland heat for weeks. It always feels wonderful to go to bed without the burning feet!


We left the house at around 10 a.m. and had a leisurely drive down to Oceanside, arriving at San Luis Rey at about 11:30. We were both a bit peckish so stopped for lunch before going into the mission. We opted for an Italian joint - Capozzoli's Pizzeria. The food was very good. I had chicken piccata and his Lordship had his old standby - sausage and mushroom pizza. They only make pizza in one size - HUGE! When I saw it, I realised I should have shared it instead of indulging in a delicious meal of chicken in butter, capers, and artichoke hearts - but what the hey! I'm on me hols!


Mr. Indi was pleased to see that Capozzoli's carried micro-brew beers, including several brews from the Stone Brewing Co. of Escondido - AND - in honour of his lovely wife - Mrs. IPA - he tried their India Pale Ale. I tried a sip too, but it's way too bitter for my taste. Our waitress also gave us a sample of a pale ale brewed by the Oceanside Ale Works. Mr. Indi quite liked it but I thought it had a peculiar taste - almost like chocolate. I prefer my beer to taste like - duh - BEER!


After lunch, it was just a short drive up the hill to the Mission San Luis Rey de Francia. We were quite disappointed to find that some of the mission is closed to the public - they hold religious retreats there - the nerve! We did visit the cemetery and the museum though and I was able to get quite a few pictures which I will be posting when we get back home.


We spent a couple of hours at the mission and then drove another 10 miles or so to our hotel. Our rooms are very nice. I say rooms because it's a suite -ohhh - la-de-dah! Actually, it is very good value for the money. It has a kitchen, living area, and a separate bedroom with a king sized bed. Mr. Indi suggested that I could make dinner instead of going out. I suggested that Mr.Indi - ehhm, never mind!


After a little nap, we drove into town and had a walk along the main street. Not much happens in Encinitas! We saw a bar where they had the trivia game that I love and we went in for a quick drink and a game but no one else was playing and the place was lacking in ambiance -there wasn't anything hanging from the ceiling! By now, lunch had worn off and it was time for dinner. I was just dying for a big gooey hamburger so we headed up the street to Angelo's, a really grotty hole in the wall, where you can get fabulous burgers and even more fabulous milk shakes. Heaven.


The picture above is of a cactus at the Mission. It is the same as my cactus at home that has probably bloomed today. Sigh!

No comments: