Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Dear Sweet Boy


Since I became interested in genealogy - my own and other peoples - I have taken up a secondary hobby. I scrounge around in junk - oh, I mean antique - shops looking for old photos (especially if they have a name on the back.) If they are not too expensive - less than a fiver -I will buy them and I try and return them to the family.


I acquired the above photo postcard a few weeks ago. It has an inscription on the back. Our Lester - the dear sweet boy. Also, Mr. Lester Humphrey, Rialto, California Aug 11, 1908. There is also a stamp mark that says that the photo was taken at the Glenn Ranch Resort in Lytle Creek.


I have found Lester - who was born in Kansas - on the 1900 US census, living with his parents, William and Lucy Humphrey and his siblings; Earl, Callie, William, Maude, Laura and Leota. They live in Rialto. By 1910, Lester is married to a lady named Ina. She was born in Iowa. They lived together in San Bernardino until Lester died in 1940. I don't believe they ever had children.


So, your mission, should you choose to take it is to find any living relatives of Lester P. Humphrey who would like this lovely photo!

No comments: