Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Milestone!


Yesterday was such a busy day - but I accomplished quite a lot and went to bed feeling very proud of myself! (Big head!)


Mr. Indi wanted to get out of his bed using the Hoya lift. I had never used it by myself - but after some trepidation - I thought "What the....lets have a go!" It's a bit awkward to use as it is quite a large piece of machinery and the bedroom is not very big - so my first task was to move some of the furniture around. Next, I had to get him in the sling and attach the chords to the sling hooks on the machine. Then, with the machine locked in place, I began the slow task of pumping the hydraulic lift and getting him up in the air and clear of the bed.


Now came the scary part - turning him around and placing the wheelchair within reach of his bum. I slowly let him down and VIOLA - he was in the wheelchair. Now it was just a matter of unhooking all the straps and off he went down the hallway - anxious to see the rest of the house. He was surprised that the living room still looked the same after 8 weeks in bed. Did he think I had plastered the walls with Clive Owen posters?- or worse yet - Russell Crowe!


Getting him back in the bed, I ran into a little snag. I got him hooked up and started winching away - "Cor Struth", I thought. This thing is getting harder to pump. Then I realized that I had part of the sling wrapped around the wheelchair and was lifting both Mr. Indi AND the wheelchair! What a wally!


I went to the Wings place for lunch - I ordered myself some wings and a glass of cold beer and then I waited - and waited - and waited. It was only 11:30 and the place was almost deserted s0 I couldn't imagine what the hold up was. Finally a sweet little waitress (about 19 years old) came and asked to see my ID!!! HaHaHa! I nearly fell off my seat - I told her that I am 66 years old and just go and get my beer. She said that I could not have any beer until I showed her my driver's license - stupid girl! I asked to see the manager who told me that it was a new company policy - EVERYONE must show ID before they can have a drink! Whatever happened to common sense? I suppose I should be flattered but I was actually quite annoyed - and parched for a drink!


We had a meeting with a very nice lady yesterday afternoon who is a volunteer with the hospice company. She lives close by - about 3 miles away - and is willing to come and sit with John while I go off for more than an hour at a time. She seems very trustworthy and I think I shall ask her to come one day next week so that I can go to Riverside and spend some gift certs that have been hanging around since Christmas.


Mr. Indi wants to get out of the bed again today so I shall be having another go with the Hoya Lift - His Lordship was wondering if I could use it as a trebuchet (look it up!) but I don't think there is enough space in the bedroom to get a good fling going - however, if anyone sees him flying out of the window - you will know that it worked!


Today's picture is one that was taken by my good pal, Lexi. I think it is lovely.


2 comments:

Muderma said...

Well done with the Hoya ! Now he also knows how to use it,Mr Indi and the new carer will get to work, and he'll be in it and away down the hall and goodness knows where while you are taking your couple of hours out ... and be back in bed looking angelic before you get home !

I wish I was asked for ID when I go to the pub on ladies knitting night ... its more than obvious I'm over 18 ...

Hugs as always to you both ...

lexi said...

Steady as she goes Indi, or else you'll be slinging mr. indi out the window and he's be landing on the poor landscaper next door..

How dare that girl ask an old bag like you for an ID? ;-) What's this world coming too, when ya can't have a pint in peace?

xoxoxo
Lexi