Friday, August 8, 2008

Look Out - Here We Come!


I am looking forward to our weekend away - even though we shall only be one hour from home. At least I will not have to cook for a couple of days and I'm hoping to get some time to read and finish my knitting. Mr. Indi has not been reading anything lately - he's on a crossword puzzle jag -but I am well into my Erik Larson book and loving it.


Erik Larson writes non-fiction books based on historical facts but he has such a marvelous way of telling a story that it could quite easily be a who done it novel. I was introduced to Larson when I read Thunderstruck - as the Los Angeles Times said - A ripping yarn of murder and invention. It tells the intertwined stories of Gugielmo Marconi, the communications genius and Hawley Crippen, the cold blooded murderer. The chase scene at the end is as good as any I've read!


I am now reading The Devil in the White City - Murder, Magic, and Madness at The Fair that Changed America. It is the intertwined story of the construction of the Chicago World's Fair c1893 and the cold blooded killer, Henry Holmes, who used the fair to his own murderous advantage. Having lived in Chicago at one time (for 5 years in the 1970s) I am fascinated by the details of life in the city in gay nineties - hint - they weren't so gay!


Mr. Indi is feeling much better and his taste buds seem to be back up to par. We went out to lunch yesterday - nothing special - but ran into a chap we know and he was brimming with news about his new job. It seems he is now a rep for Samuel Adams Brewery! Now - there's a good bloke to know!


Today's pic is the 4th bloom to appear on my prize winning dahlia. I've never had more than three blooms but this year there have been a total of five. I love this plant.

No comments: