Monday, August 4, 2008

Beautiful Redlands

More about our visit to Redlands. The city is home to many buildings that are of architectural significance including the beautiful Morey Mansion - pictured here. The mansion was built in 1890 by David Morey, a ship's carpenter. It is considered one of the finest American Victorian homes in the West and has had many famous visitors including Clark Gable.


The grounds surrounding the mansion are planted with trees and shrubs that compliment the colours of the lovely building.


The Morey Mansion is now an upscale Bed and Breakfast Inn and if you would like to spend a few days there you can see the info at this link. http://www.moreymansion.com/rooms.htm

For our lunch in Redlands, we went to the Gourmet Pizza Shoppe on State Street. Let me tell you, this pizza is to die for. The ambiance is nothing to write home about - kind of like sitting in a giant warehouse with a very high ceiling and lots of clattering, banging and echoes swirling around. When we walked in there was a poor old chap with artificial legs sitting at the first table - he had taken his legs off and propped them up against the wall! As I said - not great in the ambiance department! BUT - I have never seen a pizza joint where you can get pizza with bacon and scrambled egg or mashed potatoes and gravy - ON THE PIZZA! Yes. I'll bet it's delish too. We had the Saucy Sicilian and it was heavenly.

On my way back to the freeway as we were heading home, I saw this sign. I stopped the car in the middle of the street - left it running - dived out with my camera and snapped it! Mr. Indi thought I had finally gone completely bonkers - but I had to do it. AND I hope she likes it! XXX

No comments: