Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Weekend Away - Saturday Morning

This wonderful room with an ocean view - ahem....also is equipped with wi-fi (per the glossy brochure.) So, at 4:30 a.m (I'm an early bird) I dragged my 85lb laptop out of its case and up onto the desk near the window. I plugged in all the proper bits and clicked on my bookmark for the BBC. I waited - nothing. So I clicked on the little icon that shows what connections one has. It shows that there are 3 wireless networks within range. 2 are secure networks that require a password which I don't have and one is an open network but the signal strength is very low - VERY LOW ha! it's so low in fact that it hasn't got the strength to crawl up the stairs to room 402! I'll have Mr. Indi call the office when he gets finished with his morning sit!

The little man in the office was very sweet about the whole wi-fi thing. He explained that the signal is very good in the courtyard next to the fountain but very bad on the ocean view side of the hotel. So there it is - you can have an ocean view or wi-fi and a fountain BUT not both!

One of the reasons for picking San Clemente as a get away spot was so that I could go to the British import shop and stock up on essentials - Bisto- Oxo- marmalade etc. The shop is on the main street in town and we stopped there first before looking around. Unfortunately, I had just picked up a couple of items when I started to have one of my terrible coughing/choking spells. I motioned to Mr. Indi that I was in distress and had to go outside. He said " OK, do you want me to get you some of those sherbert flying saucers that you like." I motioned.....NO- I"M CHOKING! And with that I staggered outside and flopped down on a bench on the sidewalk. The choking wouldn't stop and I tried to hide my head as the mucus and goo was running out of my mouth and nose.

I looked up to see Mr. Indi chatting away to the English lady shopkeeper and smiling and laughing......I choked on! I began to feel like that little girl in the movie "Airplane" The one who has her oxygen line pulled out by the nun playing the guitar. Finally he strolled out and handed me a little paper bag. "Here, I got you those flying saucers!"

No comments: