Monday, April 28, 2008

Taking My Trache Away (For The Weekend)

Having a tracheostomy is horrible......but as it was a life saving procedure....I'm thankful that I have it. Now, having said that, taking my trache away to the seaside is no easy task!
Traches are very high maintenance. Mine requires lots of stuff....including but not limited to:
A Sucky machine ( suction catheter and machinery with AC/DC adaptor for charging)
A large bottle of Peroxide and water (1/4 to 3/4 mix)
A big bag of clean gauze.
A box of surgical gloves.
A large make-up mirror so that I can see if I'm sucking the right thing! (Well, I don't want to suck my eyeball out at 3 in the morning!)
Boxes of 4x4 and 3x3 sterile dressings.
Several spare inner candulars....the bit that goes inside the trache tube
I also need........pain killers.......throat medicine......and something to help me sleep if needed....preferably alcohol.

And once we got it all packed, we were ready to go off for a weekend by the sea!

No comments: